Saturday, January 14, 2017

Driving in Malta: Why I won't be trying it ...


Don't get me wrong, while I do like a lot of things about Malta, the way some people (notice how I wrote 'some') drive over here has had my spirit jump out of my body several times.

If you're not a person who normally looks left and right before crossing the street, you will certainly be faced with having to do so over here, or risk getting run over by a car appearing out of thin air. Your pick.

I wish I was exaggerating, but terrible driving is so common over here that the sound of screeching tires on the road doesn't cause event the faintest of eyelids to flinch, except for perhaps tourists who aren't used to it.

When I first got here, I thought there were car accidents happening every fith minute when, in fact, the sounds I was hearing and reacting to were just cars skidding on the pavement. I would often find myself asking, "Are the cars just that old, the roads terribly slippery, or are the drivers just super terrible at manoeuvering their vechicles?"  Which is it??

When my parents flew over to visit me, the taxi driver was speeding so fast on the road from the airport to my place, I thought she was going to ram the taxi right into a curb and have us all killed. She seemed annoyed about something, and I was not going to ask what had brought about her annoyance, for fear of causing her to further increase the speed we were "cruising" at.

Having been involved in a car accidenr in the past, I had slowly started getting over my fear again and started re-considering my thought about never learning how to drive. That was, of course, until I moved here.

As I do not have a dying wish, after living here for almost four months and witnessing how the locals drive, I can safely say that out of all the places where I would consider learning how to drive, Malta is not one of them.