Friday, October 16, 2015

Judging a book by its cover

While I don't normally judge people by the way they look, the way a book looks (and of course the synopsis) tends to play a big role in whether I decide to pick up a book or not. These days eye-catching book cover designs and beautiful editions are everywhere, urging readers to come closer, to be enthralled by their pages, captivated by their stories. Of course there has to be other factors involved, such as reading the first page and getting hooked, or reading the synopsis.

Back when I was 16, what grabbed my attention with the Twilight Saga was exactly that, an intriguing cover design. What had me sold, however, was the blurb at the back of the book. I had entered the library on a desperate search for a good book to read, and there it stood calling my name from the shelf, waiting for me to take it home.

I still look at covers to this day, although any book with an interesting synopsis will get me to pick it up anyway, regardless of the cover. I do prefer a book cover which doesn't have actual people on it to a book that does. I also really admire typography. But here are a few books I think have seriously intriguing cover designs in no particular order.  Click on them to read their full synopses:


17234658



21524446
23395680


797192