Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Drama series: I Remember You

Original title:  너를 기억해 (I Remember You)
Release date: 22. July 2015
Status: Completed (last ep. 11 August, 2015)
My rating:


click on image to be re-directed to Viki Drama page

When a serial killer strikes women who all have a similar appearance, the police department’s Special Crime Investigation Team is stumped. While Cha Ji An (Jang Na Ra), an elite detective, and her fellow colleagues are assessing the latest crime scene, the mysterious Lee Hyun (Seo In Guk) shows up and instantly assesses the trademark attributes of the killer. He's a genius criminal profiler with a degree in criminal psychology who received an anonymous email that brought him to the crime scene all the way from the United States. The serial killer seems to be sending a personal message to Hyun with the clues he leaves behind, and Hyun wonders if it could be related to an escaped criminal “monster” from his childhood who killed his father and was responsible for the disappearance of his younger brother. Ji An (Jang Nara) has known Hyun since childhood and is ecstatic to see her childhood crush again, but Hyun doesn’t seem to remember her. With no leads to capture the serial killer, Ji An and her colleagues solicit Hyun’s help. Can Hyun and Ji An solve the case and find answers to their pasts? “I Remember You” is a 2015 South Korean drama series directed by No Sang Hoon.

All I can say is that it's been a long time since I watched any drama where I felt really attached to almost all the characters. Each of them had their own unique story which, in turn, tied them to one another. There was never a dull moment in this drama. From start to finish, it provided all the tension, drama and suspense needed for a successful drama. I especially loved the #Bromance between most of the guys in it (especially between the main character and his younger brother).  It was so adorable! 

What I can't understand is why the series wasn't ranked among the top 20 Korean dramas on the list of the most popular drama series in S.Korea/globally. I felt it should have been, especially due to the fact that it's an unconventional drama. I would have thought Koreans liked Crime investigation/Detective themed drama series and, in my opinion, this drama was among the best I've watched so far in 2015. A round of applause for the great acting by all of the actors and actresses who starred in the drama, even those who only had cameo appearances or those who were featured as extras. They all contributed to what became an epic drama viewing experience (can't forget the hilarious comments by viewers either). 

Even those of the actors who were mentioned to not have been in the "acting game" for too long did an amazing job. Although I wasn't too concerned about the romance between the two main characters, I think the romance development was good.

However, without spoiling the ending of course, I feel there's a loose thread in the series. What I mean by that is that I don't feel that the story has ended just yet. I feel the ending the viewers got suggested a second season or a continuum of the story. It would have been a full five stars for me if I'd been satisfied with the ending, so I've ended up giving it a 4 1/2 star rating.

Would I recommend this drama? Most certainly. Why, you ask? Because I think it's well worth the watch, especially if you're one who enjoys a balance between Drama, Action, Suspense and Romance.

Have you watched 'I Remember You?' What were your initial thoughts about it? Please comment if you plan on watching it.