Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Introvert -- understanding me as a person


I've never really been a really out-there kind of person. Sure, I mastered how to mingle with people and not make the fact that I used to be very, very shy such an obvious thing but, truth be told, no matter how many people I surround myself with -- I always prefer my own company for long periods of time for various reasons.  There are a lot of people who just don't understand that, and I find that these people are mostly those who can't go a day without being in the presence of other people.

I obviously have days when I suddenly find myself wanting to spontaneously do something, and that's when I do it (if I have the opportunity). It could be anything from attending a party, going on a trip or getting to know new people in the most random of settings. But, there's always that need to be alone most of the time, to be able to shut my door to the outside world and just breathe.

The worst thing is having to explain why I like being on my own, like it's some kind of disease to want to be alone. Every individual is different, and just like it's okay for people to want to be around others all the time, it's okay for other people not to want to be around people all the time.

Here are some obvious reasons why I prefer to be alone to being in the company of others:

1. I don't judge myself -- I can be just as odd as I like and won't get the side eye from anyone.

2. I absorb information a lot better when I'm on my own, without the buzz of this busy world

3. I feel more at ease and don't have to make an effort to constantly keep people entertained (a good book, good drama series,or working on a book project usually does the trick.) 

                               

4. I don't have to force myself to make conversation when I really just want to keep quiet.

5. Lastly, being alone just gives me a break from all the things I would normally stress about on a daily basis.

I, personally, don't think there's anything wrong with preferring your own company. Even my family knows to leave me alone every now and again.  I know there are people who can relate. ;)