Thursday, May 28, 2015

Journey back to the past (part 1)

I love reading any book with a storyline that grips my interest, and it's the exact same with music. I don't discriminate much, except if a song, or book, just doesn't stand out to me. However, I've discovered that my favourite books to read are books that paint a picture about the times before I was born -- books which include some historical events or past events that are very significant in history (more often than not these are fictional books). Of course, I haven't read too many of these, but enough of them to know that books which contain themes like the following: turntables, LP records, protests, oldies music, the peace movement, the women's rights movement, the black panthers, and so many more similar themes, are books which I often prefer to read. I don't know, let's just say I have a certain fetish for the 70s and 80s especially.

A list of the books I've read so far, which reference certain time periods, like the 60s, 70s, or 80s are (in no particular order):


1. Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami (re-reading it at the moment)


2.  The Women's Room - Marilyn French



3. 1Q84 - Haruki Murakami (trilogy -- 3 book series)



4. The Help - Kathryn Stockett


5. Americanah - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie



6. The Wind-up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami (as you can probably tell by now, Murakami is very well liked by me)



I'll be writing a part 2 which will be more about music from the past, or music that pays homage to the past. Stay tuned ;)