Monday, April 13, 2015

The challenges of writing a novel....


Distractions, distractions, distractions. They're endless and they keep coming. I kind of miss the days of the typewriter and terrible internet connection (okay, maybe not the time when it was terrible, but perhaps when it hadn't become so big yet?). I feel that it's harder to concentrate with all this technology around us. There's always that "one" email one has to check, or that "one" message one has to reply to on Facebook. No matter what it is, distractions are all around us, threatening to consume those who lack discipline. 


I try to write as much as possible, but always feel myself drifting out of writer mode by looking at how far away from the finish line I am. I still feel grateful that I've accomplished quite a lot, and continue to press on. I can't, however, help but wonder whether those rumoured to publish several books within one year actually wrote them within that particular year, or perhaps spent years writing them before releasing them all at once. 
I can't say I'm not envious of authors in their mid-twenties who've managed to publish at least 5 books.  I'd love for that to be me, but everyone has a pace at which they work and I just seem to not be among those who publish books like they're on steroids. Even so, I have a goal and I'll stick to it no matter how long it takes to reach it.  I'm determined and, in this case, I think that's all that matters.