Saturday, April 25, 2015

United Colours of Africa

I like a lot of music genres, from classical music to R&B, but there is no music genre that puts a bigger smile on my face than Afrobeat, an African genre of music which became highly popularised in the 1970s. I love how, despite the fact that most of what we see on the news daily is a poverty, disease and destruction stricken continent, young African artists are working hard on promoting the beautiful Africa, the one with smiles and laughter, colours, a rich and diverse culture, and mind-blowing fashion.

Seyi Shay - Jangilova


Don't misunderstand. I'm well aware of that Africa isn't a perfect continent but, amidst all the terrible things going on there, Africans still thrive and are able to show the rest of the world that there is still a lot of beauty and hope coming from the continent. I could not be more proud to call myself and African, and hopefully, one day, I will also be able to give back to African society.

I recently fell in love with this music video by the the artist Seyi Shay: