Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The "black" girl stereotype


Countless times I've heard comments like, "you don't strike me as a typical black girl". And, although the statements were, as the people who uttered them described them, 'not intended to offend', I usually would take offence as I wasn't sure what 'not a typical black girl' actually meant. I've said it so many times, it's actually becoming really tiring, 'Being a woman is universal'. Certain qualities are bound to be manifested in all women. The fact that you are of a particular race shouldn't determine how you speak or act.


The woman in the video below couldn't have set things better in response to such ignorant comments. Click on the link, watch and be enlightened.

A Black Girl Was Asked Why She ‘Talks White’. I Didn't Expect Her Answer to Be So Real.