Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Ever felt like you were born in the wrong era?....

The records, the dressing, the haircuts, the hairstyles, the books. Sometimes I find myself silently wishing I'd been born during the late 70's or early 80's. Those, according to myself, must be some of the coolest eras in history. When I read books about the past (Norwegian Wood, Women's Room etc), it makes me so envious of whoever grew up during those time periods.

How wonderful it must have been to stride into shops, go to the cinemas, lay on the grass in parks, and cycle around in the breeze during those days. I feel as though I'm being taken there just by writing about the times, even though I was never fortunate enough to be born then. My mind often wanders into the land of 'daydreams' when I write about certain things.

My dress sense during my late primary days, I feel, was more convenient for the middle 80's or end of the 70's. My mum always used to dress me up in vintage clothing, and I just never fit into the time period. I was easy to spot, just by my clothing, never mind my height. I feel I've somehow, automatically, always lived in the past (listening to - mostly because my father collected loads of LP records back in the days - Dolly Parton, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Cindy Lauper, Elivs, Ben E. King, The four tops - and the list goes on).

I was - according to a few - an old soul. I never thought quite like the kids my age, or had the same interest. While people were getting into new technology - like the Discman, computers etc - I was busy listening to music on my Walkman, reading books and typing up stories on an old typewriter.  I met people older than myself, and it would always fascinate me whenever I listened to stories about their growing up, what they wore and what music they used to listen to. You never have quite the same feeling of nostalgia listening to music from a time period you weren't born in. I was always envious.

Of course the 90's were okay growing up during - and it was nice witnessing the growth of certain artists like Aaliyah, Brandy and Monica. There were a few highlights from those days that I'm glad to say that I got to experience, but my dream was always to have lived a decade and a half before the nineties.  I'm glad there exist books out there to kind of give a person a feel of what it must have been like to live during those times. That's the closest I'll ever get to actually living during those times - through my imagination which is opened up and encouraged by the books I read.

Sincerely,

born in the wrong era.