Friday, February 22, 2013

Going Romance...

I am seriously not one to throw myself into the world of Romantic fiction - unless the synopsis really grabs my attention - and it has been a really long time since I read a book with a serious romantic twist to it. I think I must have been about 16? However, as a member of Goodreads where you get to view almost all the published (and unpublished) books that are out there, and see what people's opinions are on them (much like pre-library time where you get to decide what books you want to read next - like discovering a whole cave full of gold!!!!!!), I can't help but notice what a great selection of books there is out there. Over the past years I've read so many books I can't even count them on my fingers (would be strange if I could!!). Some have made me laugh out loud and others made me well up with tears, feeling sympathy towards the characters.

I do have quite a few books to go through before I get anywhere close to the newly discovered ones on Goodreads - the books my boyfriend got me for my birthday, the books I am currently reading (1Q84 by Haruki Murakami) etc. The more pages a good book contains, the more tempted I am to read it. I don't know why, but I love a book with loads of pages. Be it 500-1000 pages, I'll definitely challenge myself to read it if I like the storyline.  I wish, however, that I felt the same way about reading academic books *laughs*.

I guess it's not just romantic fiction I'll be spending my time reading in the near future. Goodreads
has functioned as a gateway to all these awesome, funny reviews  on (and) books, urging me to plunge into the world of reading with genuine excitement.  There are so many books to choose from out there; I might have to start reading several books at a time (even though I've never been used to that). Now that's an idea I never really thought of previously.

There was this quote by a reviewer that I really liked:

"..it is, in fact, your own responsibility to make yourself happy. Being happy without being with a man does not trivialise love. You should find challenges, entertainment, fun, excitement, passion, the thrill of mastery and satisfaction of achievement through your own doings, not who you are doing. Love might enhance this. It cannot substitute this. "

Books, to me, function as a way of connecting me to what I am happiest doing, reading. I find peace, joy, excitement, fun and a lot of other things when I indulge in reading a 'good book'. I think anyone in the world is a reader, considering the fact that we (unavoidably) read everyday, but it's about finding a book that actually suits your  taste. Now that's a task!

Thanks to Goodreads, I'm able to find what I would call a 'good book' by reading through synopses and reviews by other readers, both good and bad. I have picked up a number of titles which I cannot wait to read, and that will most likely be during summer.  If I did have all the time in the world, I'd definitely spend a good part of it reading several books.  I am in no way a very fast reader, but once I do get my hands on a book I really, really like, there's no telling how fast I'll finish it. There are numerous books I have ended up reading quite quickly because I have found them so intriguing.   Goodreads is a whole community full of people whom make the experience of reading so much more fun because you 'get to know' so many people in the process, which is something I quite enjoy.

When I move into my very own apartment, the first thing I will be really keen on setting up is my very own LIBRARY, with a large selection of books. I wish to have my own space where I can simply get lost in as many books as I please. 
studyabroad.universiablogs.net

Since I do enjoy Japanese anime, I might also try to read more graphic novels (manga). I'm not really a graphic novel kind of person, and reading books with pictures in them makes me feel kind of child[ish]. I never did like thick books with pictures in them because they allowed no room for imagination, and therefore (even as a child) preferred books which contained no graphic content and simply just words.

I'll close with a quote by Nezarian:


"Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light.

–Vera Nazarian