Thursday, December 13, 2012

With the right nurture, it will grow...



A couple of years ago, during my first year at Uni, I and my friends would joke around and tell stories about our childhood, and I was surprised at just how similar we had all been - even though we had grown up in different locations. We would wear sweaters/jumpers on our heads and fling them about, pretending that we had long flowy hair. At the time I had been used to relaxers that would change my hair's texture, in order to make it straight and 'managable'. 'My type of curls' were not the least bit desirable, and plenty of money and time was spent in attempting to even it out at all costs. It would eventually become straight, but it would look so dull and lifeless.

As I grew older I started growing really fond of afro textured hair and would marvel at it. It was only when I wore my hair without any chemicals or extensions that I was truly happy with it. It was thick and full, and I loved it. My time of admiration did not last long as I was persuaded into thinking that it would fall out without the help of chemical relaxers or hair aid of some form. After countless arguments with my mother, I would eventually give in to either one. The problem then was never my hair, but our knowledge of it. If I had known then what I know today, I would never have let another relaxer touch so much as a strand of hair on my head, or let people comb it without any consideration for it.

It is lack of understanding, time and patience that stunts growth...

This reminds me of a time when I tried to plant a peach tree in our back garden as a child. I just never understood why it would not grow. I had thought that all I had needed to do was plant it, water it once in a while and watch it blossom, and then collect my fruit. Little did I know then that it would take my time, effort and nurture to grow a peach tree successfully. Like it was with the peach tree I tried growing as a child, so it is with everything in our lives. If we don't care enough for something, it cannot and will not grow.

Growing up, it had been almost stapled into my head that long, lucious, full hair was just a dream and could never be achieved by a person with my ethnic background. To us, shoulderlength hair (which I did have in my teens, before it all started to break off again) was long enough -- heck, it was long hair. But my hair is flourishing, and I marvel as I watch it reach new lengths in its natural (none-processed) state. With the right touch and care any hairtype can grow. Coming from a family where long and thick hair is common, I don't doubt this for a second.

Knowledge is definitely power! -- And that I can say that with confidence. =)