Monday, October 15, 2012

What you have is much better than what you don't...

I've always wondered whether humans are conditioned to perceive attractiveness in a certain way, whether who we are attracted to or not attracted to is taught rather than inbuilt. In a society where having a certain posture, appearance or features makes one 'beautiful', I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.  One thing I can't stand is when people are constantly looking at what they believe is 'eyecatching', and ignoring what they already posess. Should I further explain what I mean?

If you have a car, and it's working absolutely fine, and has taken you places and given you loads of good memories, without ever really disappointing you, and it's absolutely beautiful not to say the least, and you all of a sudden set your eyes on a New Porsche with the latest specs, you tend to forget your car for a little second. Your car, for that slight second that gorgeous Porsche is driving by, gets put in the backseat and forgotten.

Humans are never satisfied, which is what leads us to do silly things, forget about what we have, or treat what we have with little care because we think the grass is greener on the other side. We tend to sit and wait for the car we own to 'die' so we can run out and purchase a new one, and sometimes we don't even wait for it to 'die', we just have to have that new one straight away! Once you've had one thing and it gets old, no matter how new and good the second one you get is, it will never be able to replace the old one. You'll most likely treat the new one as if it isn't even the first time you've had it.

I remember when I got my first laptop. How much appreciation I had for it because I knew how long I had waited for it; I knew how many years I had longed to have a laptop of my own, and when I finally got one, I treated it like gold.  I guess that's it with human beings, that unless they've worked really hard for something, they won't really value it as much as something they got straight away.  I had my laptop for almost 5 years, and there was never a day where I treated it any less than I had when I first got it. 

My point is that people need to get better at appreciating what they have, rather than look for the things that they don't have. How will we ever be able to care for a new thing if we were never good at taking care of the old?  I believe success  comes from appreciation of one's posessions and using them to one's best abilities, in order to succeed.

The saying is quite true in most cases, 'You don't know what you've got until it's gone'.