Saturday, May 12, 2012

Dear Grandma

When I was 17, I wrote a poem expressing how much I missed a grandmother I never got to meet. I somehow felt attached to her through all the good stories I heard about her. She was a heroine to me - hard-working and loved, which is what I aspire to become. 

Dear Grandma 

Although I’ve never met you before,
The fact that I haven’t met you makes me miss you even more.
You never complained through the stress and the drama,
And for nine months at a time you carried all my aunties, uncles and my mama.

I’m still fascinated with the way you managed waking up every morning at five,
Just so you could make enough money to keep the whole family alive. 

It brings tears to my eyes every time I hear about your life story,
How you always walked with your head held up high, in all things giving God the glory. 

I want you to know that I’m so proud of you,
So proud of all the things you were able to do. 
For me you were all women put together in one,
If I could compare you to others, there would be none. 
To me you remain a role model even in my years to come.

You were a great woman, who smiled all the time,
Even though you had time to focus on yourself and what was on your mind, to keep your family standing, you put your life on the line.

Sacrificed everything you had so mama and her siblings could go to school,
Teaching them the best way to life was using education as a tool. 
Grandma, I respect you so much because you used all your time for others to live a good life,
Being both a good mother and a good wife

Everyone knows how much grandpa loved you,
So much he couldn’t take living without you.
When you died his world was over,
And gone was his joy in getting older.
A few years later he gave up his ghost, 
Just to join you in heaven with the Lord of Host.
I will never forget you, remember this,
And in my everyday life it’s you I will always miss.
All I can do is sit here and reminisce
About a time I wish I had with you that never did exist.