Sunday, August 28, 2011

Out with the old, in with the new....

I used to be a person who was never positive towards change. I absolutely despised it, and as far as I was concerned I didn't want it within two inches of me.  But as time passes and I continue to age, I learn that change perhaps isn't as bad as I pictured it to be after all; in fact, change is one of the many reasons why I've been taught so much about myself and others around me. Once an incident has taken place, that's it! It will never be changed, it can never come back, and what happens after that, only Heaven knows. 


I've realised that things have had to change to make way for progress, that I'd have to get hurt in order to grow stronger, I'd have to let go in order to heal. Now I don't even wish for times to come back; they're fine as memories and it's nice looking back on them. Would I want to go back? ....Well, the old me would've answered yes, but I know better now. I would not have wanted to go back for the world, because going back would only make history repeat itself. I wouldn't want to relive any moment, whether good or bad. My past is my past and I'm more than happy to sit and look back at it, not missing it, not wanting it back, but just cherishing every incident as memories which shaped me and made me who I am today.

Most of the time something good did come from certain situations; the good being the fact that I learnt from mistakes, took them on board, forgave but never forgot,  and tried to build my life as best as I could. 


I realise now that just saying I have past is more than enough. Acknowledging that there is a future and that there are better things yet to come is what keeps me going, keeps me determined to reach it.  Friends might not be as close, but there will be friends. I might not love as much, but I will love, and gladly accept whatever good comes my way with a smile lurking in the corners of my mouth.