Thursday, June 9, 2011

Achievement - What's it to you?

Recently I have been thinking a lot about achievement and how a lot of people's views of it tend to differ. A few examples of the things most people link to achievement are things such as 'high status', 'amazing dream job', 'fame', 'money' etc.

Out of curiosity of what the 'accepted' definition for achievement is I decided to look up the dictionary's definition and then compare it to my own understanding of it.

Achievement: 
1. success: something that somebody has succeeded in doing, usually with effort
2. finishing well: the act or process of finishing something successfully.

Because of society's high expectations of the individual, we often start questioning our achievements and whether or not we have in fact managed to achieve anything at all, when truth is that any completed project or goal could be seen as an achievement in itself, no matter how major or minor it is.

If you managed to submit your assignment before or in time for its deadline, you have successfully achieved something. If you have managed to graduate from school, no matter what level, that is an achievement. Then why do people measure achievement in the sense of how high your scores were? If you got a really good grade but never really worked hard for it, what was the point?

I view achievement as something that makes the individual feel good, rather than the result of the need to satisfy other people's expectations.

Has one finally achieved something when everyone looks upon them with envy? When everyone wishes to be just like them? To have their husband/wife, career, earn their money and live their life?

Have you finally achieved something when the whole 'world' knows who you are and you don't have a clue who they are?

I used to think that I could win a person if I managed to become the one person they could not have, the one person they wished to know, but could not reach. I never really wanted fame for myself, but because I wanted just one person to recognise me, to love me, to accept me.

To me, fame, money and the likes are not accomplishments, but a dream realised is, a dream you are able to live is, finally seeing something you have worked so hard for take place is...

Nothing is too little to be considered an achievement. Setting up a goal and actually being able to reach it is already an achievement. In this world all individuals play an important role in society. It is just up to each and every person to strive to reach that goal or that dream so they can sit and be happy about it.

It's not about what other people think of you, but what you think of yourself. The whole world might 'love' and adore you today, but forget you tomorrow, therefore it is better doing things and knowing that you did them for yourself, rather than to feed the expectations of the people around you or to satisfy your greed for recognition. Recognise yourself before seeking to be recognised.

I still have a long way to go,  but at least I know what I'll answer to the question "What do you want to be 'when you grow up' "