Friday, March 18, 2011

Oh how the world seems like a brighter place once you've actually understood something

It's funny how everything seems dark and grey when you can't understand a question, a multiplication table or perhaps just a "simple" maths question.  We've all been there (perhaps unless there are those people who are so smart they have never landed in that position), when it just seems like there is no hope and that we'll actually never comprehend a certain thing. Imagine how bright everything looks once you've actually understood it and understood that it was a bit silly moaning about it  to begin with.

I had one of those days earlier this week. On my course we'd been given an assignment which is really so easy, but I had built it up to look so complex because of my own view of it. I had made it look like a monster assignment I thought I would never be able to complete and which would perhaps eventually eat me alive, but whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right? At least that's a motto I hope I can live by these days.

My assignment hasn't eaten me alive and I've pretty much understood it now that I decided to view it from a different angle. It looks like "baby-food" now and I can finally smile, knowing that my assignment is not going to finish me and that I'll pretty much survive it.

It actually reminds me a little of when I first learnt how to read, when I could understand the words instead of just see them. It felt amazing and I couldn't stop smiling, jumping up and down and yelling "I can understand what that note says. I can understand it!!"

So, basically, what I am trying to say is.... doesn't the world seem like a much brighter place once you've learned to see something in a different way? I suppose all it really took was for me to stop being negative about my assignment and looking at it more positively.  The world isn't over, it only is when you choose to look at it that way.