Thursday, March 10, 2011

Beauty and the Beast?

In society we have an almost fixed meaning and perception of what Beauty is. Some people have even gone as far as to state that the more symmetrical a person's facial features are, the more beautiful they will appear to be. Yes, people have indeed been taught to see with their eyes only; that which is known to be "beautiful" and "pretty".

Call me weird if you like, but I've never really seen the point in the word "ugly", because at the end of the day I think it all boils down to our opinion, our perceptions, our preferences, not the way a person actually looks. Why do we think that we have the right to call a person ugly and what makes us think we are in position to decide who is pretty or not?

I was watching a little bit of a British programme called "Beauty and the Beast" with my friend, and I think it makes a person realise that there are so many different beauties out there. I absolutely fell in love with this guy called Daniel whom since birth has had a facial disfigurement because of certain cells in his body. The more he spoke, the more I liked him.

People like that are not necessarily looking for the sympathy of others, and they don't want you to feel sorry for them, and truthfully why should one feel sorry for a person who is clearly fine with themselves? If a person does not feel sorry for themselves, what is the reason we should feel sorry for them?

I don't see the point in the title however, but perhaps it has just been given to the TV programme in regards to how society views "beauty" and "ugliness", attractiveness and unattractiveness. But in all I think it does teach people a lot about how others live their daily life and that there is a diversity of people out there in the world who are trying their best to change the way people's perceptions have been formed.

In the long run, I think many people will misunderstand this post as me trying to tell them that they are not entitled to their own opinions and that everyone is Beautiful. I wish I could make people see it my way, but I can only tell people what I think, in the same way it would be much better if I hear a person say "I think he's ugly", rather than saying "He is ugly".

What some people do not understand is that when they say "He is ugly", they are basically saying it is final, stating it as a general opinion rather than their own. If you think a person is ugly say it as your own person and don't make it seem like it is what every other person would think.

I am unable to persuade people to see thing through my eyes, or from my perspective, but what I am able to do is provoke into thinking for themselves and perhaps putting a question mark on things instead of just going along with the feeling or the crowd.

Instead of blindly following the way society has taught us to see with our eyes, why not see with our hearts?