Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Peculiar


Just today I and a friend were discussing about how even though we were separated by distance as children we still did a lot of the same things, like flinging cardigans over our heads and pretending they were our beautiful, long hair.

I would often get mad at my mom for forcing me to remove the cardigan from my head when it was time to shower or go to bed.

I told my  friend about how I had told my little cousins that they need to start appreciating their skin colour instead of pointing at the screen whenever Tinkerbell (or anything similar) comes on, saying they want to be her, or her other band of white friends. I mean, there were a number of black fairies in Tinkerbell. At least two, and they were pretty. Why didn't any of my cousins want to be them?????? That's the great mystery of the world.

                           I mean, last time I checked none of them seemed particularly white to me.

                                              See what the media is doing to little kids?!?!?!?!


Why was I so different when I was younger? My parents must have found me quite peculiar since I always requested a black doll. I would always say things like "that doll doesn't even look like me" whenever I got a white doll as a present. Back then black dolls weren't too big, and when my older brother's little sister (we're not related in case you think I'm just writing that because I'm a retard) had a collection of all types of dolls and I really envied her for the black dolls she had.

When baby-born came out, I got the white one, even though I had specifically requested a black doll. They were limited and had only just started selling. Again, once I got to my older brother's little sister's house and saw it there I didn't want to leave and wished so much that it was mine.

I told my friend how I always used to forget my dolls on trains or buses or wherever, and then my parents would always get me new ones. Like when I left the doll I had received on my Christening on the road near my house, telling it "Wait right here and be good, I'll be right back," tapping it ever so lightly on its shoulder. I must have really thought it could hear me.

I did actually come back the next day, believing it would still be there. But it was gone. Oops!

Me as a little girl

Maybe, thinking back, I subconsciously left all those dolls because I wanted my parents to buy me a black doll for a change, but instead I kept, to my disappointment, getting white dolls. *sigh* Don't get me wrong, I mean I do want to adopt and all, so it really doesn't matter what colour my kids will be, but I just feel that black people should be more appreciative of their colour.

I know parts of the reasons why I wanted a black doll was so I could stand out. Especially with the baby-born doll. I wanted to stand out from the million other girls who had white baby-born dolls. I mean they all looked the same!!! Imagine all the babies in the world looking exactly the same???? That to me seemed unrealistic and pretty creepy. I wanted a peculiar baby-born doll. Special edition.

Even my white Norwegian friend at the time wanted a black baby-born doll. She too must have been fed up with the trend.

So far I've been successful at teaching my cousins to appreciate themselves, and they make me proud when they cite what I have taught them :). "Black is Beautiful," my cousin Jade, the middle one in the above picture, would always say with a smile on her face.


Be true. Be you!









Chika x x x