Monday, August 30, 2010

Nigger!!!

To most people, especially in Norway, it's just a casual word and not a word with any sort of negative notion. Some just fling it around as if it has no meaning at all, while some actually, even though they think it - do not say it out loud.

To some, that's all I am, no matter how much I try to say otherwise or how much I try to show them that I am just as human as they are; and I have accepted that it's useless to try and change the opinion of narrow minded people. It's not like I carry the grudge of my ancestors probably being slaves to people from the Western world more than hundreds of years ago. I am not angry at those who were born several generations after their ancestors treated mine the way they did.

When I hear a person, just like the other day on the bus - refer to a black person as a "nigger" (neger), e.g "Oh you know the tall nigger who goes to our school?" - It just makes me assume that they do not have enough knowledge, or perhaps do not have a wide enough vocabulary to equip them with better words to describe an AFRICAN. Because that is what I am, an African, Not a negro, not a nigger, but an African, and if a person can't address me by what I AM, I just assume they don't know better. Therefore I only pity them, rater than get angry at them for using the word.

I've dropped arguing with people about the word because I have better things to do. I know for a fact that I'm an African, and have a lot of things to be proud of. I do not need to say more. And also, having thought a while about it, I assume that my skin colour isn't the only thing that bothers a few people. I think it goes deeper than that, because if it was in fact my skin colour which was the issue, a lot more people would be hearing rude comments everyday. My skin colour is mainly a coat, and does not define who I am or what I am. I wish people would get that. But in the mean time, I've got more people who admire and love me, than those who hate me just because of my skin colour. I wonder what half of those who claim to hate black people would have done if they had been born black. The thought does make me laugh a little.


Signed with Love,

Chika xxx (A proud black woman)